Pioneers Rest is the oldest public cemetery in Fort Worth, Texas and one of the oldest in Tarrant County. Its use as a burial ground began in 1849, the same year that the fort was established by the United States Army. It was recognized and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2021.
Pioneers Rest is located in the 600 block of Samuels Avenue near its intersection with Cold Springs Road, immediately north of downtown Fort Worth. Among the many early settlers are buried at Pioneers Rest, are notable graves of many individuals who helped shape the heritage and history of Fort Worth. It was referred to as the “old cemetery,” “city cemetery,” or “Samuels Avenue cemetery” until 1909. Veterans of every American war from the War of 1812 to World War II are buried at Pioneers Rest.
The cemetery continues to be maintained by the Pioneers Rest Cemetery Association and is open to the public on weekdays.